Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
rgb@ellerbach.com

Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save

Post by rgb@ellerbach.com »

Hi Thorsten, I don't see what difference it makes. Once a selection is made and a new image is created there are still the same number of pixels in the new image as in the selection. No information has been lost (or gained). I can understand why you as a programmer would want to not unnecessarily change things behind the user's back but, for the end user, the concept of resolution (as it is used in this context) means nothing. Rich On Mon, February 28, 2011 8:03 am, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > Hello Rich, > > This does matter only if you use new image from selection. > > Thorsten > >> Von: Rich <rgb@ellerbach.com> >> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:59:35 -0500 >> An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save >> >> On 27-2-2011 0:48, rgleigh64 wrote: >>> >>> In any case, my problem occurs not on save, but upon creation. For >>> example, if I select a region of a 300 dpi image, copy to the >>> clipboard then open it in a new file (cmd-J), it opens at 72 dpi. >>> >> >> And why does that matter? No pixels have been lost from the selection >> have they? >> >> The *only* thing that matters in a digital image is the number of >> pixels. The "resolution" tag is irrelevant. >> >> Rich > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Rich, Yes, the number of pixels is the same. But the resolution value is kept. Thorsten > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:14:24 -0500 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save > > Hi Thorsten, > > I don't see what difference it makes. Once a selection is made and a new > image is created there are still the same number of pixels in the new > image as in the selection. No information has been lost (or gained). > > I can understand why you as a programmer would want to not unnecessarily > change things behind the user's back but, for the end user, the concept of > resolution (as it is used in this context) means nothing. > > Rich >> > >
rgleigh64

Post by rgleigh64 »

Rich: Other people use GC in different ways than you do. To me, resolution is often not important (if high enough), but absolute size is. GC has convenient tools for making measurements of scanned images. If the resolution changes, then the reported size is scaled up or down. The information isn't lost, but it is just another step to put things back. Luckily Thorsten appreciates this. Rob --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, rgb@... wrote: > > Hi Thorsten, > > I don't see what difference it makes. Once a selection is made and a new > image is created there are still the same number of pixels in the new > image as in the selection. No information has been lost (or gained). > > I can understand why you as a programmer would want to not unnecessarily > change things behind the user's back but, for the end user, the concept of > resolution (as it is used in this context) means nothing. > > Rich > > On Mon, February 28, 2011 8:03 am, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > Hello Rich, > > > > This does matter only if you use new image from selection. > > > > Thorsten > > > >> Von: Rich <rgb@...> > >> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > >> Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:59:35 -0500 > >> An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > >> Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save > >> > >> On 27-2-2011 0:48, rgleigh64 wrote: > >>> > >>> In any case, my problem occurs not on save, but upon creation. For > >>> example, if I select a region of a 300 dpi image, copy to the > >>> clipboard then open it in a new file (cmd-J), it opens at 72 dpi. > >>> > >> > >> And why does that matter? No pixels have been lost from the selection > >> have they? > >> > >> The *only* thing that matters in a digital image is the number of > >> pixels. The "resolution" tag is irrelevant. > >> > >> Rich > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >
Rich

Post by Rich »

On 1-3-2011 9:28, rgleigh64 wrote: > Rich: > > Other people use GC in different ways than you do. To me, resolution > is often not important (if high enough), but absolute size is. GC has > convenient tools for making measurements of scanned images. If the > resolution changes, then the reported size is scaled up or down. The > information isn't lost, but it is just another step to put things > back. Luckily Thorsten appreciates this. > Hi Rob, I do appreciate the shorthand of working inside a controlled workflow connecting the real world to the digital one. My point is that this application of resolution is via a derived quantity rather than a primary one. The real world size is the primary (important) quantity while "resolution" is a secondary one. In my work with getting digital images into a "real" (hold-in-your-hand) size I prefer to use the actual needed dimensions. But, in a well-defined workflow, resolution can work as a proxy. As I mentioned, I'm glad that Thorsten makes the effort to not change even these things behind our backs since if we've come to rely on those markers we might introduce more work than necessary into the task. Rich
Bucky Junior

Post by Bucky Junior »

The resolution of an image _does_ make a difference. When used in another application, a images of different resolutions import at different sizes. An image destined for print is usually a higher resolution than one used solely for screen applications. Bucky > Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save > Posted by: "Thorsten Lemke" lemke@lemkesoft.de thorstenlemke > Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am (PST) > > > > Hi Rich, > > Yes, the number of pixels is the same. > But the resolution value is kept. > > Thorsten > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:14:24 -0500 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save > > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > I don't see what difference it makes. Once a selection is made and a new > > image is created there are still the same number of pixels in the new > > image as in the selection. No information has been lost (or gained). > > > > I can understand why you as a programmer would want to not unnecessarily > > change things behind the user's back but, for the end user, the concept of > > resolution (as it is used in this context) means nothing. > > > > Rich > >> > > > >
Rich

Post by Rich »

As long as the number of pixels hasn't changed then the apparent size of the image is an arbitrary choice which you can set as you wish. If you have a screen with 28 pixels per centimeter and one with 38 and one with 128 your 1024-pixel wide image is going to display at different sizes unless you change the "resolution" for each display. I don't disagree with the idea that an image should display consistently across applications on the same display on the same system. My point is that resolution is an arbitrary number based on how big *you* want the image to appear. Optimizing an image for different end purposes is a different story and is not what is being discussed. If you have a 4000x3000 pixel image it makes no practical sense currently to include that many pixels on a webpage (or other display destined use) unless you want the user to be able to zoom in to that image (think pdf). But if I want to print that image in a journal I have no need to specify a resolution, the printer itself is told to make the resulting image a specific size and it will, in general, do a fine job of squeezing those pixels into the requested area. The pixel count is king, the desired size *determines* the resolution. Rich On 1-3-2011 10:51, Bucky Junior wrote: > The resolution of an image _does_ make a difference. > > When used in another application, a images of different resolutions import at different sizes. An image destined for print is usually a higher resolution than one used solely for screen applications. > > Bucky > >> Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save >> Posted by: "Thorsten Lemke" lemke@lemkesoft.de thorstenlemke >> Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am (PST) >> >> >> >> Hi Rich, >> >> Yes, the number of pixels is the same. >> But the resolution value is kept. >> >> Thorsten >>> Antworten an:<gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >>> Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:14:24 -0500 >>> An:<gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >>> Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Re: Resolution defaults to 72 ppi on Save >>> >>> Hi Thorsten, >>> >>> I don't see what difference it makes. Once a selection is made and a new >>> image is created there are still the same number of pixels in the new >>> image as in the selection. No information has been lost (or gained). >>> >>> I can understand why you as a programmer would want to not unnecessarily >>> change things behind the user's back but, for the end user, the concept of >>> resolution (as it is used in this context) means nothing. >>> >>> Rich >>>> >>> >>> > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >