GPS data and file format conversion

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
prath003

GPS data and file format conversion

Post by prath003 »

I just started playing with the GPS functions in GC, and think the interface with Google Earth is great. Now i want to know why geodata are not included when i do a batch conversion of NEF to TIFF files? Do TIFF files not support geodata? Any disadvantages to editing NEF files directly? I've been leaving them alone as backup/archive, but i could just make copies to play with.
thorstenlemke

Re: GPS data and file format conversion

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] GPS data and file format conversion Hello, TIFF does support GPS. Can I please get a tagged source file for testing? Thorsten Von: prath003 <prat0058@umn.edu> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:11:17 -0000 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: [gcmac] GPS data and file format conversion         I just started playing with the GPS functions in GC, and think the interface with Google Earth is great. Now i want to know why geodata are not included when i do a batch conversion of NEF to TIFF files? Do TIFF files not support geodata? Any disadvantages to editing NEF files directly? I've been leaving them alone as backup/archive, but i could just make copies to play with.                   .     
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

10-1 odds that your GPS data field is being stripped in the translations!Take Care///DominickOn May 29, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: Hello,TIFF does support GPS.Can I please get a tagged source file for testing?ThorstenVon: prath003 <prat0058@umn. edu>Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com>Datum: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:11:17 -0000An: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com>Betreff: [gcmac] GPS data and file format conversion     I just started playing with the GPS functions in GC, and think the interface with Google Earth is great. Now i want to know why geodata are not included when i do a batch conversion of NEF to TIFF files? Do TIFF files not support geodata? Any disadvantages to editing NEF files directly? I've been leaving them alone as backup/archive, but i could just make copies to play with.              .    
pegasus1457

Post by pegasus1457 »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "prath003" <prat0058@...> wrote: > > I just started playing with the GPS functions in GC, and think the interface with Google Earth is great. Now i want to know why geodata are not included when i do a batch conversion of NEF to TIFF files? Do TIFF files not support geodata? Any disadvantages to editing NEF files directly? I've been leaving them alone as backup/archive, but i could just make copies to play with. > It is pretty nifty, but a question arises: Can anyone who is viewing the JPEG file in an application other than GC view the GPS info? Where is the GPS position stored once it is set in GC? I don't see it in the EXIF info or in the ExifTool display in the Info panel. thanks Micheal
pegasus1457

Post by pegasus1457 »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "pegasus1457" <levine@...> wrote: > > Where is the GPS position stored once it is set in GC? I don't see it in the EXIF info or in the ExifTool display in the Info panel. > It is more serious than I had imagined: I am running GC 6.4.2, and when I add the GPS info from Google Earth, the position shows up as a red cross on the GPS tab of the Information page. But when I save the image as a JPG and close and then reopen it, the GPS info is missing. I also notice the following error messag in the ExifTool tab: ---- ExifTool ---- ExifTool Version Number : 7.76 Warning : IFD1 pointer references previous GPS directory Micheal
pegasus1457

Post by pegasus1457 »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "pegasus1457" <levine@...> wrote: > > Where is the GPS position stored once it is set in GC? I don't see it in the EXIF info or in the ExifTool display in the Info panel. > > I finally figured out the answers to most of my questions -- by reading the Manual -- DOH! I now know that you have to create an accompanying KML file for each tagged image. GC is smart enough to look for these KML files. But the original question remains: are there other applications out there (on Windows, for example) which will recognize the KML file and display the coordinates? I had expected that the tags would be embedded in the EXIF. Micheal
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] Re: GPS data and file format conversion Hello Micheal, The gps position is embedded inside exif. Thorsten Von: pegasus1457 <levine@bnl.gov> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Sat, 30 May 2009 02:09:54 -0000 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: [gcmac] Re: GPS data and file format conversion         --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "pegasus1457" <levine@...> wrote: > > Where is the GPS position stored once it is set in GC?  I don't see it in the EXIF info or in the ExifTool display in the Info panel. > > I finally figured out the answers to most of my questions -- by reading the Manual -- DOH! I now know that you have to create an accompanying KML file for each tagged image. GC is smart enough to look for these KML files. But the original question remains: are there other applications out there (on Windows, for example) which will recognize the KML file and display the coordinates? I had expected that the tags would be embedded in the EXIF. Micheal     
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [gcmac] Re: GPS data and file format conversion Hello, Did you check the embed exif checkbox in the JPEG save as options? Thorsten Von: pegasus1457 <levine@bnl.gov> Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Datum: Sat, 30 May 2009 01:25:46 -0000 An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Betreff: [gcmac] Re: GPS data and file format conversion         --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "pegasus1457" <levine@...> wrote: > > Where is the GPS position stored once it is set in GC?  I don't see it in the EXIF info or in the ExifTool display in the Info panel. > It is more serious than I had imagined: I am running GC 6.4.2, and when I add the GPS info from Google Earth, the position shows up as a red cross on the GPS tab of the Information page.  But when I save the image as a JPG and close and then reopen it, the GPS info is missing. I also notice the following error messag in the ExifTool tab: ---- ExifTool ---- ExifTool Version Number         : 7.76 Warning                         : IFD1 pointer references previous GPS directory Micheal     
pegasus1457

Post by pegasus1457 »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > Did you check the embed exif checkbox in the JPEG save as options? > > Thorsten > The embed exif option was already checked .... and now I find the info embedded in EXIF. I looked for it and did not find it before. I am not sure what has changed, but it is there now. Thanks, Micheal