browser question - using mouse (basic)

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pukkanana

browser question - using mouse (basic)

Post by pukkanana »

Hi. This is a basic, elementary question, but I just can't seem to figure out how the mouse behaves in the Graphic Converter Browser. I want to move some files from one folder to another folder. I highlight the files that I want to move (let's say 10 files). Using the method that the Mac finder uses, *hold down on my trackpad and use my finger to drag them over. When I do that, as soon as I click down and hold on my trackpad, all the files except for one get DEselected. What am I missing? It seems I used to be able to do this. I am using GC version 8.5 (1062) in Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
pukkanana

Re: browser question - using mouse (basic)

Post by pukkanana »

OKay, I did some more testing. First I trashed the Preference files. Same issue. Then I completely uninstalled GC, rebooted and restored using Time Machine (back when it was working). Same issue. Starting testing within GC and found that it is specific to certain files. These are PNG files, and it's just these specific ones that I downloaded recently from iClipart.com (I'm member there). These are graphics of border art. I tried using GC to save them. I tried using Paintbrush to save them. I removed all metadata. Nothing helps. If I save/convert them as GIF, JPG, or TIF, I get the same issue! I select the file with mouse; one file or many doesn't matter. Hold down my trackpad and if one file it just starts selecting more files when I try to move; if multiple files, it de-selects files. I cannot move these files using the mouse!! I don't seem to have any problems with other PNG, JPG, GIF or TIF! Just these border art files. Really crazy. Is there anyway to send/attach files so you can investigate? Files are selectable and movable using Finder. I get the same behavior with my MacBook. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@...> wrote: > > Hi. This is a basic, elementary question, but I just can't seem to figure out how the mouse behaves in the Graphic Converter Browser. > > I want to move some files from one folder to another folder. I highlight the files that I want to move (let's say 10 files). Using the method that the Mac finder uses, *hold down on my trackpad and use my finger to drag them over. When I do that, as soon as I click down and hold on my trackpad, all the files except for one get DEselected. > > What am I missing? It seems I used to be able to do this. I am using GC version 8.5 (1062) in Snow Leopard 10.6.8. >
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:44:57 -0000, pukkanana wrote: > Hi. This is a basic, elementary question, but I just can't seem to > figure out how the mouse behaves in the Graphic Converter Browser. > > I want to move some files from one folder to another folder. I > highlight the files that I want to move (let's say 10 files). Using > the method that the Mac finder uses, *hold down on my trackpad and > use my finger to drag them over. When I do that, as soon as I click > down and hold on my trackpad, all the files except for one get > DEselected. > > What am I missing? It seems I used to be able to do this. I am > using GC version 8.5 (1062) in Snow Leopard 10.6.8. > > Check the permissions of these files and the surrounding folder. In the Finder select one and select File -> Get Info. At least one of the Privilege should be set to 'Read and Write'. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

(thanks for reply) I did check the permissions, just forgot to add that to my post. The folder is my downloads folder and it is shared with Read & Write permissions for everyone and I even re-did the order to include all files. The files had read & write for me, but not everyone, but then had everyone - still same behavior. I can move the files to desktop, anywhere and same behavior. Must be something iClipart does to the files. But, I can select and drag/move them using Finder?? I guess there's no way to attach some of these files for testing...do you know? --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@...> wrote: > > On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:44:57 -0000, pukkanana wrote: > > Hi. This is a basic, elementary question, but I just can't seem to > > figure out how the mouse behaves in the Graphic Converter Browser. > > > > I want to move some files from one folder to another folder. I > > highlight the files that I want to move (let's say 10 files). Using > > the method that the Mac finder uses, *hold down on my trackpad and > > use my finger to drag them over. When I do that, as soon as I click > > down and hold on my trackpad, all the files except for one get > > DEselected. > > > > What am I missing? It seems I used to be able to do this. I am > > using GC version 8.5 (1062) in Snow Leopard 10.6.8. > > > > > > Check the permissions of these files and the surrounding folder. In the > Finder select one and select File -> Get Info. At least one of the > Privilege should be set to 'Read and Write'. > > > -- > Bill Bedford > > "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" > > > -- Clifford Geertz >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,curious. Is there any error message in the console?Thorsten On 10.12.2012, at 20:17, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@yahoo.com> wrote:   (thanks for reply) I did check the permissions, just forgot to add that to my post. The folder is my downloads folder and it is shared with Read & Write permissions for everyone and I even re-did the order to include all files. The files had read & write for me, but not everyone, but then had everyone - still same behavior. I can move the files to desktop, anywhere and same behavior. Must be something iClipart does to the files. But, I can select and drag/move them using Finder?? I guess there's no way to attach some of these files for testing...do you know? --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@...> wrote: >
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Thorstein, no error message pops up anywhere - just can't use what I consider normal mouse behavior. I'm not familiar with the console, but when I open it, I see one message about GC. "12/10/12 10:52:12 AM [0x0-0x74074].com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter[1612] Mon Dec 10 10:52:12 -macmini.local GraphicConverter[1612] <Error>: CGBitmapContextCreateImage: invalid context 0x0" *I removed my macmini's name in there* I don't know if this has anything to do with the selecting and trying to move. I just now tried to use the mouse on these files and no new message shows in console. I also tried saving the files as posted in previous post. Thorstein, is there a way to send you a zip of a couple of the files? It's not really a big issue, suppose I can live with it, but it is crazy and baffling. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > curious. Is there any error message in the console? > > Thorsten > > > On 10.12.2012, at 20:17, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@...> wrote: > > > (thanks for reply) I did check the permissions, just forgot to add that to my post. > > The folder is my downloads folder and it is shared with Read & Write permissions for everyone and I even re-did the order to include all files. The files had read & write for me, but not everyone, but then had everyone - still same behavior. > > > > I can move the files to desktop, anywhere and same behavior. Must be something iClipart does to the files. But, I can select and drag/move them using Finder?? > > > > I guess there's no way to attach some of these files for testing...do you know? > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bedford <billb@> wrote: > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,yes, just e-mail to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten On 10.12.2012, at 20:40, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@yahoo.com> wrote:   Thorstein, no error message pops up anywhere - just can't use what I consider normal mouse behavior. I'm not familiar with the console, but when I open it, I see one message about GC. "12/10/12 10:52:12 AM [0x0-0x74074].com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter[1612] Mon Dec 10 10:52:12 -macmini.local GraphicConverter[1612] <Error>: CGBitmapContextCreateImage: invalid context 0x0" *I removed my macmini's name in there* I don't know if this has anything to do with the selecting and trying to move. I just now tried to use the mouse on these files and no new message shows in console. I also tried saving the files as posted in previous post. Thorstein, is there a way to send you a zip of a couple of the files? It's not really a big issue, suppose I can live with it, but it is crazy and baffling. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorste
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Thorsten. what is the last part of that email address? when I click on it, it just starts a new post, not an email. I just see"...." after the @. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > yes, just e-mail to lemke@... > > Thorsten > > On 10.12.2012, at 20:40, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@...> wrote: > > > Thorsten, > > no error message pops up anywhere - just can't use what I consider normal mouse behavior. > > > > I'm not familiar with the console, but when I open it, I see one message about GC. > > > > "12/10/12 10:52:12 AM [0x0-0x74074].com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter[1612] Mon Dec 10 10:52:12 -macmini.local GraphicConverter[1612] <Error>: CGBitmapContextCreateImage: invalid context 0x0" > > > > *I removed my macmini's name in there* > > > > I don't know if this has anything to do with the selecting and trying to move. I just now tried to use the mouse on these files and no new message shows in console. I also tried saving the files as posted in previous post. > > > > Thorsten, is there a way to send you a zip of a couple of the files? > > > > It's not really a big issue, suppose I can live with it, but it is crazy and baffling. > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorste >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten   Thorsten. what is the last part of that email address? when I click on it, it just starts a new post, not an email. I just see"...." after the @.
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

It happened again. the group site cuts off the last part!! I think I found it in my email program. I used that to send a zip. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > lemke@... > > Thorsten > > Thorsten. > > what is the last part of that email address? when I click on it, it just starts a new post, not an email. I just see"...." after the @. > > >