GC9 - custom keywords missing

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
dagmu2

GC9 - custom keywords missing

Post by dagmu2 »

I installed the new version of GC9 but all my custom keywords from the previous version are missing. Is there a way to get these? (When I go back and open version 8 it opens as a new copy asking me for my serial number. Once open all my preferences and keywords are gone.)
Mike Alexander

Re: GC9 - custom keywords missing

Post by Mike Alexander »

--On December 21, 2013 12:29:40 PM -0800 dan@danmurdoch.com wrote: > I installed the new version of GC9 but all my custom keywords from > the previous version are missing. Is there a way to get these? (When > I go back and open version 8 it opens as a new copy asking me for my > serial number. Once open all my preferences and keywords are gone.) Yes, GC9 seems to have its own preferences and doesn't import prefs from GC8. This is a big disappointment. I spent considerable time getting the prefs set the way I wanted and don't really want to do it again. Isn't there some way to import the GC8 prefs? At least, in my case, going back to GC8 worked. The prefs still seem to be there and it knows I'm registered. I think I'll stay there for a while. Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Mike,GC9 does import the old prefs file upon the first launch.This is not possible in the Mac App Store version due the Apple sandboxing restrictions. ThorstenOn 21.12.2013, at 22:58, Mike Alexander <mta@umich.edu> wrote: --On December 21, 2013 12:29:40 PM -0800 dan@danmurdoch.com wrote:> I installed the new version of GC9 but all my custom keywords from> the previous version are missing. Is there a way to get these? (When> I go back and open version 8 it opens as a new copy asking me for my> serial number. Once open all my preferences and keywords are gone.)Yes, GC9 seems to have its own preferences and doesn't import prefs from GC8. This is a big disappointment. I spent considerable time getting the prefs set the way I wanted and don't really want to do it again. Isn't there some way to import the GC8 prefs?At least, in my case, going back to GC8 worked. The prefs still seem to be there and it knows I'm registered. I think I'll stay there for a while.Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,that is curious. The GC9 does only import the old prefs - but do not modify them.Can I please get your prefs file?Do you use the Mac App Store or the normal version?Thorsten On 21.12.2013, at 21:29, <dan@danmurdoch.com> <dan@danmurdoch.com> wrote: I installed the new version of GC9 but all my custom keywords from the previous version are missing. Is there a way to get these? (When I go back and open version 8 it opens as a new copy asking me for my serial number. Once open all my preferences and keywords are gone.)
Bob Batson

Post by Bob Batson »

Does the normal version of GC9 (the one from your website) import the old prefs? On Dec 22, 2013, at 2:20 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:Dear Mike,GC9 does import the old prefs file upon the first launch.This is not possible in the Mac App Store version due the Apple sandboxing restrictions. ThorstenOn 21.12.2013, at 22:58, Mike Alexander <mta@umich.edu> wrote:--On December 21, 2013 12:29:40 PM -0800 dan@danmurdoch.com wrote:> I installed the new version of GC9 but all my custom keywords from> the previous version are missing. Is there a way to get these? (When> I go back and open version 8 it opens as a new copy asking me for my> serial number. Once open all my preferences and keywords are gone.)Yes, GC9 seems to have its own preferences and doesn't import prefs from GC8. This is a big disappointment. I spent considerable time getting the prefs set the way I wanted and don't really want to do it again. Isn't there some way to import the GC8 prefs?At least, in my case, going back to GC8 worked. The prefs still seem to be there and it knows I'm registered. I think I'll stay there for a while.Mike ----Bob Batson"Chocolate is the true opiate of the masses"
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,yes, the normal version does import the old prefs.The Mac App Store version is not allowed to do this due the Apple sandboxing.Thorsten On 22.12.2013, at 16:13, Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com> wrote: Does the normal version of GC9 (the one from your website) import the old prefs?
Mike Alexander

Post by Mike Alexander »

I was running the normal version (but not yet licensed) and it didn't seem to import the prefs. Are there some it skips? One set I looked at had to do with the browser configuration. Mike On Dec 22, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > yes, the normal version does import the old prefs. > > The Mac App Store version is not allowed to do this due the Apple sandboxing. > > Thorsten >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Mike,please e-mail the version 8 prefs for testing to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorstenOn 22.12.2013, at 18:03, Mike Alexander <mta@umich.edu> wrote: I was running the normal version (but not yet licensed) and it didn't seem to import the prefs. Are there some it skips? One set I looked at had to do with the browser configuration.MikeOn Dec 22, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:> > > > Hi,> > yes, the normal version does import the old prefs.> > The Mac App Store version is not allowed to do this due the Apple sandboxing.> > Thorsten> 
wdbowen

Post by wdbowen »

Hello Thorsten,Do you have a manual workaround for the App store 8->9 upgrade?Regards,Bill
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,yes, save the keyword list with version 8.Open the saved keyword list with version 9.Thorsten On 24.12.2013, at 15:41, wdbowen@yahoo.com wrote: Do you have a manual workaround for the App store 8->9 upgrade?