Waiting......

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
John Hill

Re: Waiting......

Post by John Hill »

On 7 Jan 2014, at 18:53, Mike Bauers wrote: I gather at this point that Gnarlie is testing various programs on a 2009 Mac.I fail to understand why anyone would get into a routine of testing programs on a five year old computer and be upset over the results.I suspect the fellow is more unique than the herd of the rest of us.Now, now, come, come!I'm using Snow Leopard on a late 2007 iMac.GC 8 works OK for me. No, I'm not a power user and I don't use many of the facilities. But have kept up with all the beta issues up to 8.3.3, and very occasionally reported problems (and had them fixed very quickly).I can't go to version 9 until I move up to Mavericks - which I may soon do, if I can get some stumbling-blocks sorted out - but hey, that's OK. It won't stop me keeping an eye on what's going on.Does that make me an oddity too?John.
William H. Magill

Re: Waiting......

Post by William H. Magill »

On Jan 7, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote: > I seem to differ though, even new machines tend to 'delay on start' as we discussed on here last night. I think I simply glossed over that discussion, so this might simply be restating what was said then. There are several things which specifically relate to Mavericks (OSX 10.9), and support for new "battery powered" hardware. Mavericks has been optimized for extended battery life! --- with or without batteries! There are several different "features" -- (Gory details at Apple: http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/ ) Memory management, loads, and keeps loaded, as much of an apps memory usage as possible. This is how it "speeds up" switching between apps. Quitting any given app does not unload it from memory. While this can speed up a "re-launch" of the same app; it slows down "new launches" because first memory hast to be cleared. Another "feature" is called "App Nap" --- This is visible ONLY if you do a "get info" on the actual application -- not any alias. There is a check box called "Prevent App Nap" under General. It does just what it's name implies. There have been multiple threads as well as several long ones on the Apple support forums about "slowness" in Mavericks. The symptoms are widespread, but not universal. Apparently the "biggest success" in addressing the issues is to run "Disk Utility" and "Repair Permissions." T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.9.1 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.8.5 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com